Housing Action Plan
Othello is one of the fastest growing communities in the area, but there is a shortage of available and affordable housing. Rental vacancy rates are very low, sale prices have risen dramatically over the past two decades, and existing units are overcrowded.
The community requires innovative strategies and strong public will to create enough housing options to meet the community need. Existing policy tools to encourage building and maintaining housing are no longer enough, and without an active response, the housing affordability crisis will increasingly burden our residents.
The City of Othello received a grant from the Washington State Department of Commerce to create a Housing Action Plan. The plan will identify strategies, actions, and policy tools to generate additional housing, and will focus on four important questions:
- How much additional housing will be necessary to meet the diverse needs of Othello’s current and future residents?
- How effective are the City’s current policies at ensuring adequate housing options?
- How can the City, residents, and businesses work together to improve Othello’s housing options?
- What are Othello residents’ preferred strategies for increasing affordable housing?
The Washington Department of Commerce awarded the City of Othello a grant to hire a consultant to prepare a Housing Action Plan. This Plan will help us work on our housing supply and affordability issues.
How Can I Be Involved?
- Review the Presentation Slides from the Sept. 26 presentation at the online City Council meeting.
- Read the documents so far:
- Presentation at the City Council meeting Sept. 26
- Survey mid-Oct. to Nov. 6, 2020
- Draft Housing Needs Assessment & Policy Review were released Oct. 2020
- Final Housing Needs Assessment Report Nov. 2020
- Final Housing Policy Review Nov. 2020
- Gather public input and draft Housing Action Plan Winter 2020
- City and community review Spring 2021
- Revise and adopt Housing Action Plan by June 2021
Check back for updates as the project progresses, or join our mailing list.
Join our mailing list.
For More Information
Contact: Anne Henning, Community Development Director, email@example.com, 509-331-2710, 500 E. Main Street, Othello, WA 99344